Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Isolation



Jeff and I were having a discussion last night. One of the parts of marraige that is a struggle for us is that marraige seems to be very isolating. We love each other and spend most of our time together. As we compare our single lives to the present day, all of our great friends that we used to hang out with regularly have wives or husbands and kids! Not that those things aren't awsome, it's just that we tend to isolate within our small family units and Jeff and I are grieving the comradary of friendship outside of your significant other. Is it an inevitability that you must loose intimacy in friendships as you grow in intimacy with your wife? When I was in Highschool I hung out with a group of a least 4 girls most week-ends. Sleepovers, movies, and eating-out. In college, I had my room-mate and her friends and we had people over for get-togethers. Before marraige I had spontaneous game-nights and week-end camping trips. Now, if Jeff and I want to hang out with a "couple" we need to check our schedules. One friend was "penciled in" for a get to gether 3 weeks out! Then to top it off, they couldn't make it because they caught the flu. I dont think people are meant to live like this. Seriously, I want communal living!!

1 Comments:

At July 15, 2008 at 7:50 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

I am so there with you on this!

Ok I know you have no idea who I am. I just ran into your blog...now I don't even remember how. But your's is the first that I have read that it's just a married couple. No kids. Anyways, I just thought I would put a little "amen" to this blog. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home